Thursday, June 13, 2013

They're Watching...and Waiting

Here's a helpful hint if you ever find yourself settling in to watch a movie, or even just a TV show, with my sweet family: Do NOT, under any circumstances, get up out of your seat for the duration of the program.

Be sure you have everything you could possibly need before plopping down. Make sure you've used the bathroom. I suppose if you smell smoke, it might be ok to get up and check it out, but don't say I didn't warn you.

 As soon as you begin to rise, you will be attacked by a barrage of requests. "Can you get me a drink? A napkin? My blanket? My stuffed puppy with one eye that's been missing since since 2010?!"

And at first, you'll want to help. You really will. One look into their pleading little eyes, and you'll want to deliver the precious item they are needing so desperately at that very point in time.

Don't. Do. It.

It's a trap. A neverending trap that leads to 1001 other items they will discover they are in need of. Or, upon delivering a freshly squeezed glass of orange juice that you personally picked all the pulp out of with a fork to one child, another child will look longingly at it, licking his or her lips, and back you'll go into the kitchen. Only to discover you used the last orange and now need to make a trip to the store.

I've grown weary. Only because I know they lie in wait and specifically plan to ask me for these things as soon as I get up. They could have just eaten a stack pack of saltines causing their throat to become as dry as the Sahara and begin to close up, but instead of getting up to quench their thirst, they will keep one eye on the TV, and one eye on you, just waiting for you to shift in your seat.

As uncaring as this sounds, I've started denying them their requests. I feel it's part of my duty to help them become more independent little beings who are capable of thinking to themselves, "Hmmm, I'm a wee bit thirsty. I think I'll get up and go to the kitchen to get myself drink".  David does not share my belief, however, unless he's really, really tired. Which doesn't happen very often. I've caught him many a times, sneaking them drinks and whatnot that I've already said "Absolutely not!" to. It's all part of his quest to become the favorite parent.

The other night we were all cozily gathered in the living room and for some reason, not thinking, I got up from my seat. This time, the offending party was Reese. "Hey, Mom can you get me a glass of water?" she asked, as she shoved another handful of popcorn in her mouth.

"Ugh!" I replied. "No. I knew you were going to ask me for that as soon as I got up. I just knew it!"

I headed into the kitchen feeling proud. Teaching her a lesson that I am not her own personal handmaiden. I expected to turn around and see her following behind me to serve herself. Instead, I heard her yell from her spot on the couch, "Ok. How about lemonade then?".

No comments:

Site Meter