Saturday, February 26, 2011

Reading Beauty

Drue is our eager reader. It's just something she excels in. She's surpassed Reese's level. Which is a problem. For Reese that is. We try and not make a big deal out of it while at the same time cheer her on. Yeah, it's a tough one.

Drue gets a different book to bring home for reading than her classmates. She recently brought home one about glaciers. It was the first book she's had this year that caused her a little bit of trouble.

I was folding laundry up on our bed while she read it to me.

"No sweetie. It's not glass-ears...it's glay-sures" I would correct her.

I can usually figure out what she's trying to sound out and guide her without having to actually be looking at the words with her. But even I was stumped when she continued on and said, "3...tiny o...f."

I paused mid-fold. "Whoa, whoa, whoa...back up there little lady. Read that again?".

"3...tiny o...f", she repeated.

I reached for her book and she pointed out to me exactly what she had read, "See? 3...tiny o...f."

I had to chuckle a little bit when I explained to her that it was, in fact, a symbol for 3 degrees Farenheit.

No comments:

Site Meter