Friday, July 27, 2007

Do as I Say....Not as I Do

Don't you love it when your kids catch you doing something you have repeatedly told them not to do? Pretty humbling. Slightly annoying.

At times, I gently nudge David in a certain direction, lovingly pointing out to him that his assistance may be required. Last night I barely sat down to eat supper when Tate began signaling that he was finished eating. I have tried to no avail to teach him the sign for "all done" but instead, he chooses to scream at the top of his lungs and burst forth with tears to let us know he is ready to escape his chair. When that doesn't work, he hoists his little feet up against the side of the table and pushes with all his might until he plunges backwards into the windowsill. Lovely child, really.

"Dear...", I said soothingly, "I believe Tate is ready to get cleaned up and be removed from the kitchen."

"Huh?", came David's response.

"GET A WET PAPER TOWEL AND CLEAN THIS KID UP SO I CAN EAT!", I suggested more forcefully.

That, he heard.

After he plucked him from his booster seat, he exclaimed, "Whew! He stinks!".

A milisecond later, David was trying to precariously balance a diaper and the wipes container on my shoulder, informing me, as I had just informed him, our son was in need of some attention.

I would like to say that I got up from my half eaten meal and dutifully changed his little soiled bum.....but come on, you all know me better than that. I snatched the diaper, still balanced on my shoulder, and flung it backwards into the living room as far as I could.

Then I heard a little voice coming from Drue's seat saying sweetly, yet accusingly, "Mommy! We don't throw things!".

Sidenote: The little darling did get changed (by his dad) and did get all the pizza sauce wiped from his face before the night was through. And David and I remained rather pleasant towards each other for the rest of the evening.

No comments:

Site Meter