Sunday, July 01, 2007

"I" Before "E" Except When You're Cute

I know one of my parental responsibilities is to teach my kids proper grammar. It's something my dad really drilled into me growing up, and while I'm sure I rolled my eyes many a time at his correction, I am so thankful he never backed down.

I'd be in the middle of telling a story about my day...."and me and Suzy Q went to the mall today, and..." when he'd interject, "Suzy Q and I went to the mall....". So of course, I had to be Miss Smarty pants and say, "Oh, you went to the mall today too?"

I am so glad he molded me into being able to hold a somewhat intelligent conversation with others. I inwardly cringe now when people use double negatives or say they're headed to the libarry.

However, I am not quite ready to correct all the missayings from my kids. They just sound too darn cute. The English language with all its' rules and exceptions can be a bit confusing but they are trying their hardest to piece it together.

Here are a few of my favorite things Drue says now that I can't quite bring myself to correct yet:

Instead of asking "What day is it today?" (which she wouldn't understand the answer to anyway because she has no concept of the days of the week yet) she says, "Mommy, what today it is?".

Yesterday at breakfast she looked at my plate and said, "Mommy, that sounds like a good donut for me to eat." And at bedtime, she peered into the pajama drawer and said, "That sounds like a good nightgown for me to wear...".

No comments:

Site Meter