Sunday, August 03, 2008

Movie Madness

I took Reese to her first movie, Elmo in Grouchland, just before she turned two. I had high hopes that she would sit quietly and be mesmerized by the big screen. Not so. She was mesmerized until the popcorn ran out. Then she did. Ran out, that is. Of the theater. With my 8 month pregnant self waddling briskly after her.

Now she is a great little movie goer. I recently took her to see the American Girl movie and it was an enjoyable afternoon. I love the movies.

Drue actually does fairly decently. Well, I say that now. I was not saying that when she needed to potty not once, but twice, during Kung Fu Panda. The second trip coinciding nicely with the last 5 minutes of the movie. This coming from the same girl who normally only potties about twice a day.

Tate's presence does not make for a relaxing, enjoyable, theater experience just yet. And I want it to. I really want it to. These cute kid movies come out, we load up the kids, grab our treats, and settle into the cushy seats believing this time will be different. This time we won't be taking turns leaving the theater to follow his restless little self around and around the complex.

This past Wednesday we woke up to a looooonnnngggg rainy day before us. I had to get out of that house. I found a Summer movie playing at the mall up the road. Wouldn't you know it, it was Elmo in Grouchland. Beckoning my return. Mocking me if you will. Summer movies are just $2 so I figured if Tate did wander out, we wouldn't be out too much money. I carefully prepared the girls about this beforehand. Since David was at work and I was taking them by myself, if one kid had to leave the theater (i.e. to potty or explore) we ALL had to leave the theater.

And it was there I discovered the secret to getting a 2 year old to sit through a movie. Simply find a theater where the seats fold up. And don't grab a booster seat. Tate could barely move he was so crushed up in the seat. After checking to ensure that he could, indeed, both inhale and exhale sufficiently, I sat back and was able to finish the movie I started 4 years ago.

He finagled his little self somehow and was actually able to sit comfortably, yet still not having easy access to get out of the chair. The poor mom in front of me had a little boy around Tate's age that kept getting down, climbing the stairs, walking out the door, going down the row in front of him.

Then I witnessed a rare occurrence. My little man was actually used as an example of good behavior. In desperation the mother pointed to Tate and said, "Look at that little boy. He's sitting in his seat."

I didn't want to ruin the moment by correcting the mother that he was actually stuck in his seat, so I just smiled to myself and at the crumpled up bundle of sweetness beside me.

No comments:

Site Meter