Thursday, August 27, 2009

I WON!

As I was flipping stations during my commute home from work I heard, "Call NOW to win!".

So I called.

And I won.

It happened to be a radio station that I unsuccessfully tried to win something on the day before, so the number was still in my phone memory.

I am by no means a spur of the moment kind of girl but thought, "What the heck?".

When the phone started ringing on the other end, I started to get a little nervous.

It occurred to me at this point that I had no idea what I was trying to win.

And after about the 5th ring, when the DJ answered and said, "Star 102 you're our 12th caller!" I began to panic slightly. But I didn't want to give away my secret yet, so I mustered up some fake enthusiasm and said, "YAY!".

I was about to sound like a complete idiot on the airwaves being broadcast throughout the entire KC metro area.

He took down all my information: name, number, address, etc. There was no backing out now.

All the while I was praying he didn't ask me any incriminating questions such as, "What are you going to do with your prize?" or "Who are you going to take with you?" or "Have you thought about what kind of tattoo you are going to get with your certificate?".

I had my answer all planned out. (Well, not to the tattoo question, but I was pretty sure that wasn't the prize they were giving out). I was just going to tell the truth.

Now there's a novel approach.

Except I would tweak it just a tad. Instead of admitting that I was surfing channels, thus exposing that I wasn't an exclusive and loyal listener to their station, I was going to say that I had just hopped in the car and turned on the radio when I heard them say, "Call now to win" and knowing this radio station always gives away cool prizes I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Surely some folks would get a chuckle out of that. Except the ones who desperately wanted the prize and had been waiting all day for the giveaway. They would probably hate me.

At the end of our conversation, he said, "You'll have to pick these up before 5:30 tomorrow night." I was still in the dark as to what, exactly, I was picking up.

Thankfully, before we hung up, he informed me that I had just won 4 tickets to the Chiefs/Seattle Seahawks game this weekend.

And, of course, after all that, we have a wedding to go to and won't even be able to use the tickets!

1 comment:

EandE'smommy said...

we'll take them! :)

Site Meter