Saturday, February 17, 2007

WWJD

We are already trying to instill in the girls that when they misbehave, it's not only that they are being disobedient to mommy and daddy, but it also makes Jesus sad. Some days Reese could really care less if her tantrums upset me or not, but when I ask her how she thinks they make Jesus feel, she shapes up pretty quickly a lot of the time.

We are also teaching them to not only say they are sorry for their behavior to us, but also say a little prayer that they are sorry to God. One of Reese's favorite games is when she and I take turns coming up with different scenarios then saying, "Hmmmmm......would Jesus want me to do that?". For instance, I might say, "I sure am tired, I think instead of taking a nap, I'll run crazy thru the house and scream and yell....hmmmm....would Jesus want me to do that?"---to which Reese is already shaking her head and saying "Noooooo". (She comes up with some real doozies). Of course, we also include good scenarios like, "My Sunday School teacher dropped her books on the floor, I will help her pick them up....hmmmm.....would Jesus want me to do that?".

We are also teaching them that when mommy and daddy do something we shouldn't, we need to say sorry to Jesus ourselves. I think that actually helps Reese knowing that we have someone to answer to for our behavior just like she does.

Drue is a little bully, plain and simple. While Reese is already using mind games and reverse psychology on Drue to get what she wants (i.e. the baby Drue is playing with), Drue just resorts to scratching the daylights out of Reese's face or body slamming her to the floor. Then she'll pop up and say a very insincere, off the cuff "sorry" and be on her merry way.

So, we felt it was time to really focus on the fact that she makes Jesus sad with that kind of behavior. And we want her to realize what behavior is unacceptable instead of just saying a blanket "sorry" and going on with life.

After these little escapades of Drue flippantly saying "sorry", we'll ask...."What are you sorry for Drue?"....to which she usually responds....."For Jesus".

I think we have a long road ahead of us.....

No comments:

Site Meter