Monday, February 26, 2007

You Had Me at "Hey"

Twelve years ago today I was sitting in church when the guy I'd had a crush on, most of my first semester at college, plopped down next to me. My heart started racing, my palms got sweaty, and I almost melted right into the pew. I wasn't one of those flirty young coeds who tossed her hair and giggled incessantly at every word their prospective suitor said. But I didn't want him thinking I was a complete reject, so I'm sure I turned and managed to mumble a "Good Morning" or something equally appropriate.

Who really knows what I said. Heck, I couldn't tell you what the sermon was about, what hymns we sang, or anything else that occurred that morning. Billy Graham himself could have been a guest speaker that day for all I know. I was just concentrating on taking everything in about this young man who was sitting just inches from me, because I figured it was just a fluke that he had picked my pew to sit on, and I didn't expect to have another encounter with him ever again.

We made it through the benediction and as I quickly thanked God for not letting me faint dead away during the choruses, and asked forgiveness for not taking in anything from the message, I turned to say a casual "See ya" to the man of my dreams. Before I could get it out he said, "Hey, do you have any plans for lunch?". Oh great, my heartrate had just returned to normal and this one simple question sent it back to warp speed.

My excitement quickly began to fade as I remembered one of my friends had hitched a ride to church with me that morning and I didn't know what I was going to do with her now. I couldn't just ditch her. However, if this guy did ask me to lunch, I couldn't very well ask her to come with us because she was gorgeous, popular, super sweet, and very at ease around the menfolk. About that same time she said, "So, Kristen, are you heading over to the cafeteria for lunch?"....."Ummmm, I'm not sure", I said. She looked at me oddly and I think I whispered something about the proposal I'd just received. Bless her little heart, a complete look of understanding flooded her face and she assured me to go ahead and go on, she'd just walk back to the cafeteria. (It was only across the street, so I wasn't being completely heartless).

We then headed to the most romantic restaurant in Bolivar, MO . You could just feel the love in the air and miracle of miracles, I was inhabited by a calm, relaxed, witty personality as I slid into the vinyl booth and we ordered a hand tossed pepperoni and mushroom delicacy. We finished lunch and returned to our separate dorms. I floated on a cloud the rest of the afternoon, again, not really expecting anything to blossom from our lunch outing, but just being thankful I'd had the opportunity to spend an hour or so with him all to myself.

A little while later, the phone rang, and he asked if he could pick me up for the evening service. He dropped me off at my dorm again afterwards, and less than 30 minutes later, he called to see if I wanted to go out for ice cream. What a memorable day!!

I hope that young man knows just how special he made me feel that day. I think of it fondly every February 26th, and I hope he does too, wherever he may be....

Gotcha! Honestly, what kind of love story ends like that? I know EXACTLY where he is right now, he kissed me on the forehead this morning before heading to work.

HAPPY "DATING" ANNIVERSARY DAVID!!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, who was that "witty outgoing girl?"

It wasn't me was it????

Kristen said...

You were out of town that weekend...remember....

Site Meter