Wednesday, September 09, 2009

First Day of Preschool


I'm getting better at this, I really am. Although Drue looks like me, I sometimes see more of David's personality in her. She just waltzed right on into her little classroom ready for a new adventure. I had to chase her down to give her a good-bye kiss.

Her little memory still amazes me. As we were walking into her preschool building she said, "Remember that time Tate's hat kept flying off?". That was when Reese went there...two years ago! Drue had just barely turned 3 when that incident occurred.



At Parent's Night a couple of weeks ago I had to fill out an information sheet about Drue. The last question was Is there anything else you would like us to know about your child?

I almost thought I was going to have to ask for an additional sheet of paper to fit all the info I wanted to put on there. I started off with, "Drue is VERY sensitive to the way her clothing feels on her....". I went on to explain her aversion to tags, seams, and all things kooky. I told them how she wears her socks inside out and heaven help them if they have to take her shoes off during class. Because they may never get them back on to her satisfaction!

I tried to envision Drue in her day to day activities and predict how she may react just so they would have a little forewarning. They do have a rest time after lunch so I added that if her beach towel doesn't get laid exactly so on her mat she may go ballistic. (I didn't actually use the word ballistic on her form, I think I just said there may be tears).

I didn't tell them all this to imply they should BEWARE OF DRUE. I honestly want to protect that sweet little hazel eyed girl and can't stand the thought of her being upset about something when I'm not there to help her or protect her. So I wanted to try and give them a little insight into what makes her tick so that they, in turn, will be extra sensitive with her during those times.

Tate and I made a quick stop at the grocery store on our way home from dropping her off. I had to get two items, just two. I tossed him into the cart and we were in and out in about 5 minutes. Gone are the days when I had to coral three of them around town ages 3 and under. I RARELY ventured into the store with all of them for just two items! When we did go to the store, I would balance Tate's infant seat on one hip, while desperately trying to hold Drue's little toddler hand and would make sure Reese either held onto the infant carrier, or my back pocket, or Drue's other hand. I'd then hoist Tate's seat up and balance it precariously onto the back of the cart sideways and pick up both Reese and Drue and buckle them into the front which left hardly any room for my groceries. Those days were long and seemingly endless at times.

But there's actually a part of me that misses them...

No comments:

Site Meter