Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Embracing the 21st Century

With each new modern technological advance that makes its' debut, my mom always says, "My Grandpa would roll over in his grave...". Cell phones, DVD players, etc. have all elicited this response from her.

Last night David and I communicated with each other in a prime example of modern day technology in the 21st century. Earlier in the afternoon, before he left work, he e-mailed me asking if we'd be able to pop into his friends' open house this Saturday.

I didn't check my e-mail until after we had put Drue and Tate down for the night. David was downstairs on the computer in the basement and I sat down at the laptop in our living room. I saw his message and wrote him back saying we might be able to pop in for a bit but reminded him that we had also planned to take the kids to a Fall Festival that same night at a local college.

As we were getting ready for bed David said, "I got your message about this weekend." We couldn't help but laugh as we recapped how that whole conversation had taken place. He e-mailed me from work, I checked it in our living room, then e-mailed him back, and since he was logged into his work account, he received my reply while he was one floor beneath me in the basement!

Along these same lines of modern day communication, David used to put all his appointments (work related and family related) on his computer calendar at work. (He recently got a new phone which has this same feature). Prior to getting his phone, however, on more than one occasion, we would be sitting in our living room and I would remind him of an upcoming obligation we had. Rather than take the time to discuss it and imprint the date and time onto his brain, he would say, "It's not on my calendar." So I would call his voicemail at work (while he was sitting 2 feet away from me on the couch), and leave him a message to add that event to his calendar the next morning when he got to work!

Who says communication is a problem in marriages today....?

No comments:

Site Meter