Monday, October 09, 2006

We Wish you a Merry Christmas....

It is Fall. It is October. Specifically, it is October 9th and the Hollaway household has been listening to Christmas music already for the past 2 days!! Now, I'm a big fan of the radio stations who play nonstop Christmas music beginning the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas Day. But the past few years, they have actually started playing it before Thanksgiving. Not a big fan of this, but once I hear a few bars of Silver Bells I just can't turn back....I'm hooked.

Anyway, our premature yuletide celebration began innocently enough. Friday night David sent me out clothes shopping by myself and there was nothing good playing on the radio. So, I fumbled around for my CD case to pop something in. Our CD collection has made quite a transformation over the past couple years. Our relaxing classical selections such as Pavarotti, Enya, etc. have been replaced by Veggie Tales, Children's Bible songs, and the like.

I happened to come across a Christmas CD we actually bought in the $1 bin at Target last year. It ended up being the girls' favorite one to listen to when we bought it. So, on a whim, I popped it into the CD player so I could reflect on all the happy memories of last Christmas. And that's all she wrote. I forgot to take it out before running errands with the kids the next day. They can't get enough of it.

The only slight problem is that they prefer 2 songs on it over all the others. One is an African Carol/Go Tell it on the Mountain and the other is Away in a Manger. How sweet. Well, the first 100 times you hear it anyway. We have been switching back between those TWO songs since Saturday. We will put one of them on repeat for awhile and then switch and put the other one on repeat for awhile. Heaven help us if we try and sneakily switch it to something else. The van is filled with chants for, "MANGER, MOMMY, MANGER!!".

The girls get so wrapped up in their carols, they forget to fight with each other or whine. It will be a small price to pay to listen to Christmas music for the rest of the year if it means getting to run errands in peace.....


No comments:

Site Meter