Wednesday, July 01, 2009

If You Ask It...They Will Answer

Kids have no concept of rhetorical questions.

In their simple minds (and I mean that in sweet way, not an insulting way) if a question is asked out loud--it is meant to be answered.

And I ask a lot of rhetorical questions out loud.

Usually in sheer frustration.

"Why are there 50 pairs of shoes lying around when we have 3 shoe baskets in the house?".

"Is it bedtime yet?".

"Why is this entire family rendered incapable of replacing an empty toilet paper roll?"

And the list goes on.

Many times I ask rhetorical questions, however, just because I happen to be thinking out loud at that particular moment.

Today the kids and I made a quick jaunt to Dee Anna Rose Farm. I planned for it to be so quick in fact, that I didn't even bother putting sunscreen on the kids.

Tonight, right before Reese headed to bed, I noticed her otherwise snow white cheeks had a pinkish tinge to them. As I wracked my brain trying to figure out how that had occurred, it dawned on me and I asked out loud, "Did you get sunburnt at the farm today?".

She took it upon herself to answer, "Well, I didn't go outside anywhere else so....yeah...let's go with that."

No comments:

Site Meter