Friday, January 12, 2007

No Bright White Lights for Me (But I felt close enough...)

Well, faithful blog readers (all 2 of you), I do believe I'm going to make it but it was touch and go there for awhile. Of course, I realize none of us know when our number will come up, and mine could very well come up tomorrow afternoon as I venture out to the mailbox, but I can fairly safely say, I will not be dying of the flu this season. The FLU?!?! It started out as an innocent little cold. I thought I knew myself so well. Familiar tickle in my chest....mild achiness around my lymph nodes.....hoarse sexy voice....then I'm fine. NOT SO this go round. After the "hoarse sexy voice" phase came.....my 102 fever and near death experience.

All I can say is THANK GOODNESS FOR MOTHERS! Mine showed up Thursday morning to watch the kids thinking I would be heading off to work. I clutched the wall to keep myself from fainting dead away and made it downstairs to tell her I wasn't going in to work that day. She ushered me right back upstairs to bed and stayed to watch the kids all day AND even came back today to watch them so I could get even more rest.

Now that I've safely returned from my fever-induced state of delirium, I am able to recount some of the funny things that occurred.

As I lay on the couch immobilized last evening I stated to David that I was, indeed, dying. I just knew it. (Remember my post about being a pessimist? Well, add exaggerationist to that list as well.) My sweet supportive soul mate turned to me and said, "Well, dear, now would be a good time to tell me if you have any secret stashes of money lying around anywhere."

Later that same evening as he got up he asked, "Is there anything I can get you, sweetheart?".
"My casket," I responded weakly, surely thinking he would pull me close and stroke my unwashed hair out of my face and reassure me that everything would be alright. "What?!?!", he almost half-shouted. "I thought you wanted to be cremated. We were going to scatter you out front in the rose bushes."*

As I was upstairs reading in bed a little while ago, Reese came in and sat beside me eating a bowl of chips. I held my hand out to her. "What?", she innocently asked. "Don't you want to share your chips with me?", I asked. She thought about it for a minute then reluctantly plucked one out of the bowl and handed it to me saying, "Well....I guess. Just one. I don't think sick people should eat chips."

(*Just to clarify for those of you thinking, Wow, what a supermom she is to be taking care of 3 small kids and have time left over to tend a rose garden.... The lady who lived here previously was a horticulturist so we have all kinds of beautiful flowers and bushes that bloom every year. I am always surprised to see what comes up. And when people say, "What beautiful peonies you have in the backyard," I just smile and nod and say "Thank you...they are lovely aren't they", and then go google peonies later to see what the heck they're talking about. In fact, I think I yelled at David the first time I came home to discover he had snipped off all my pretty roses for no good reason. He patiently explained to me that is what must be done if you want them to come back again. Hmmmm....there's probably a really neat life illustration there but I am still a tad weak from my ordeal so I'll have to leave that for another day.)


3 comments:

Margo said...

Yours is one of my favorite sites!! I love your sense of humor.

glad you're feeling better. I know what it's like to have a good momma. I'm blessed with one myself. They always show up just when you need them most.

I've got some pretty cool flowers at my place too. Same story...the lady who lived here before planted them. The only problem is that I have let weeds cover most of them. Time thing. ;-)

Again, so glad you didn't die!

Kristen said...

Thanks Margo! And I love popping over to see your pictures. Quite the talent.....

Margo said...

Thanks. :-)

Site Meter