Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Race for the Cure

 


Two Sundays ago my mom and I participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, an annual fundraiser which supports breast cancer research. My mom is a 4 year survivor and I am so grateful to be able to walk in honor of her. Many people doing the walk have a sign pinned to their backs that say the name of someone they are walking "in memory of".

This is actually our third year we've done this. Our first year she had only been a survivor for 2 months! Then we skipped a year because I was 8 months pregnant. Went the next year, then skipped last year because Tate was just a wee babe.

It's a 5K course which you can choose to either walk or run. It was a tough decision for us, but after much debate, and after weighing the pros and cons...we decided to walk. Basically we couldn't think of any pros to running and the fact that I would probably be the first to faint from a heart attack during the run was a big con. My mom walks over 2 miles--6 days a week! (I walk around the block when I need a break from our crazy house occasionally.)

Keep in mind dear people, that this picture was taken after the 5K walk (half of which we were walking directly into the sun). The race started about 7:45am but it was already mighty toasty out. I am certainly not complaining by any means, because it is for a great cause, and I am thankful we are both healthy enough to do it in the first place. But I couldn't help but wonder why they had to schedule one of the August dates in the Midwest of all places? Couldn't they reserve these dates for oh, I don't know, Alaska?

We talked about including Reese next year. There is a one mile fun run/walk that kids her age can participate in. (Jogging strollers are welcome.)

I really enjoyed our time. It was fun getting to spend the morning with my mom. I'm already looking forward to next year's walk.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Margo said...

What a wonderful thing to do together as mother and daughter. She must be a very strong woman.

Site Meter