Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Library Day

Library Day. An exciting day. Joyously anticipated each week by my thirsting for knowledge 7 year old. (I am still having a hard time wrapping my mind around that fact that she's 7. I almost typed "6" and had to stop myself).

It falls on the same day at school each week. Reese reminded me last night that today was library day. "You better find your book then sweetie".

"Oh, I know where it is," she assured me. And that was that. I didn't doubt her for a minute. Because 9 times out of 10 she knows exactly where things are, a missing brush, a microscopic pink Barbie shoe, a sewing needle, etc.

This, of course, was one of the 1 out of 10 times she was wrong. And when she realized she didn't know where her library book was, it was 8:12am and we were on our way out the door to drop her off at school.

I pushed away my thought of "I told you so" and replaced it with, "I'm sorry Boo, we will look more for it tonight and you can turn it in tomorrow".

But she was beside herself. Her lip started quivering and the tears began to fall. Because if she didn't return her book, she wouldn't be able to check out a new one. The thought of watching all the other kids excitedly skim each title and carefully select a fresh book to bring home to share with their family was too much for her.

Thus my internal Mommy debate began. Do I go home and look for the book so I can run it back up to the school which will put a big smile on her face? Or is this one of those times I should be teaching her responsibility about preparing for school the night before?

I went with the former. We scoured the house. I think Drue was actually the one to find it. Back up to the school we went. We got buzzed in and went straight to the office and dropped the book off for her.

I felt good the rest of the day, knowing how surprised she had probably been to get her book. And I looked forward to hearing about her successful library day when she got home.

Reese was very happy after school and was excited to show me the new book she was able to pick out from the library. She reached her hand into her little backpack and pulled out a Dr. Seuss book...the same exact one we had just bought at Target a few days earlier!

No comments:

Site Meter